The Blue Stone

The Blue Stone
seeking life's possibilities

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year

As everyone starts to make new years resolutions and sing the new years song; I can't spell it, but you know the one I mean. I wondered how it all came about; I mean how did the new year's tradition get started? Where did the song come from.


I haven't found the answers yet, well, I haven't even searched for them; but I thought about them. Sometime I'll look them up.

It doesn't seem like I'm having any thought than those related to getting through the work day.

Which is overwhelming ...... again.

So, since I'm an admitted failure at de-cluttering, cooking, and blogging I decided that my new years resolutions had to be spread out over the year. Say these are the resolutions for the next three months, the second quarter (or third), etc.

So, on the fly:

General new year's resolutions:
 - get fit
- get healthy
 - become vegan, (not thinking that ones gonna work out since I live on cheese and eggs) but here's considering trying it semi seriously
- declutter. I know, I know. But now I have a slightly better plan
- set and get a budget
 - get my hair cut every six weeks and remember to dye it
 - get rid of all my excess stuff (in a different way than decluttering)
 - encourage my 25 yr old to move out
 - figure out how to get my mom to Italy before she's too old to travel and before she turns 80

FITNESS: breaking those resolutions down one section at a time.
 - I'm going to train for a triathlon. Sounds adventurous. I've done this once. About 10 years ago; ...and I actually loved it.

BUT... that was before I discovered my inner laziness. My sisters discovered their inner athlete last year, yep  not me I discovered an inner laziness I never realized I had. It's kind of scary actually that I could be so lazy. My neighbor said to me last summer; you're a hard worker. I replied, not really, it just seems like that, really I'm incredibly lazy, but thanks for that compliment.

My 9 yr old wants to do a kid triathlon; so we dragged my bike into the house and put it up on the Mag Trainer (which I've had since my last triathlon training and never used last time). Only to have him prefer the treadmill. On which he walked; facing front, facing sideways, and backwards at a 12 % incline for 2 1/2 hours while watching "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban". Yeah, he's all about Harry Potter. BTW: we found a kids sprint triathlon in New York, Orchard Park to be exact. Since I'm originally from New York, I guess we'll go back.

 So I have a 22 week triathlon training program. I've done three days so far and as soon as I get a triathlon wetsuit; I'll start swimming.

 - Lose some weight: should happen with the triathlon. But I've also decided to become more conscious about what I eat. Cause you know heading onto toward 50 (which I'll be this summer) I certainly do not have the same metabolism. Just saying that's all.

Fortunately, my kids are into black bean burritos (black beans (not re fried, home made), an egg, some fried cherry tomatoes, and cheddar cheese) for breakfast. That's pretty healthy. Although the 9 yr old is currently really into Trader Joe's chocolate-filled croissants. He was telling the lady at Busch's all about them tonight. She kindly listened.

Okay, so while I fell asleep putting my kids to bed. I do have to go to work tomorrow. So I have to fill the iPod with some books on tape for the 9 yr old to leave at school.

And am so proud of myself; I haven't played Rock Band, Angry Birds, or Solitaire all evening. Yeah, cuz that would be because I slept..

I have decided that when your Angry Birds scores are in the top 5% of all people playing; you probably play too much. Yep that's us; top 5 %; cuz we have angry birds on all iPods, the iPad, and my phone. My mom is freaking addicted to Angry Birds. She had to bring her i Pod touch up North so we could load it on her ipod. (She can't figure out WiFi); she is 79 yrs. Angry Birds is a whole different topic.

So I've briefly touched on Fitness as I lounge in bed typing, I guess I'll get around to those other resolutions someday. Falling into the New Year Resolution pitfall of most people, making and breaking them. But hey, I didn't even make my resolutions...... yet.

Congratulations Laura.

2 comments:

  1. Brenda,

    Great post! My name is Liz, and I work for XTERRA WETSUITS, a triathlon-specific wetsuit company. I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming training for your triathlon! By the way, your 9-year old is rather impressive with his efforts!

    If you have any questions about wetsuits, please don't hesitate to contact me.

    Thanks,
    Liz
    liz@xterrawetsuits.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Brenda :)

    Wow, good luck with the training, you can do it! And by the way you aren't lazy. You are a hard worker and a mom! What ever is left of you after the two is your time and you deserve to fill it with what ever you desire!

    ReplyDelete