The Blue Stone

The Blue Stone
seeking life's possibilities

Friday, October 8, 2010

It's been a year and what a year

It's been a year. Let's see in that year I've not gotten any closer to learning how you neat people do it. In fact, I think it's gotten worse. Why is it when I'm out walking or showering I think of things to say, but when I sit down to write; it's so much harder....


It's been a busy year. The bald kid is still a bald kid, but now a 4th grade bald kid. The little pink is still a little pink (but with pierced ears) and in 2nd grade. The biggest kid is finishing off those pesky three college classes to finish his degree. The second biggest kid is away at college in Florida.


We went on a long 2 1/2 week vacation this summer. Packing for three people in one suitcase for three different types of vacations . Never again. packing for diamond mining at Herkimer Diamond mines (in NY) A ton of fun. If you've never done it; give it a try. Then Great Wolf Lodge; with my ex and his wife. And my 79 yr old mom. That was also fun. Shockingly. Love the new wife, my ex, still glad he's the ex. Then to a fancy hotel on an island. The Grand Hotel. This was, also surprisingly, my kids favorite part of the adventure (although, by that time, I'd be surprised if they could remember diamond mining). They didn't want to leave. Want to move there. (that answer would be a NO). You have to ride a snowmobile across the lake in the winter. No, thank you.


But next year, it's not going to be a 3-in-1 deal.


It's been a year of fun and sadness. but still a year gone by incredibly quickly. Now as we enter the gorgeous Fall; I'm ready for time to slow down a little bit.
New goals have to be reached (walking 10,000 steps per day, tackling the clutter, putting down new flooring, losing 15 lbs so I can't pinch 6 inches).


But for now. I realized I have to finish at work and go home and fold the mountain of laundry that comes with 2 kids who change their clothes every 5 mins.


I said, gee if I stayed up for 48 hours I could probably get every thing I need to do done. Alex said, you could get it done in that amount of time. ???


Getting back to the fat: I'm not really fat; but I do weigh more than I used to. In fact, my kids were saying my fingers were fat. But they are basing that on the fact that I can't type on my cell phone. Not that my fingers are really fat. They are pretty skinny.


But I was thinking about how getting fat. How easy it is to get fat because it happens gradually. Slowly, incidiously. Like grass growing. You don't notice the grass has grown until its tall enough to cut. And you think, ' I just mowed how'd it get so tall?' I think getting fat is like that. By the time you realize you've gained all that weight; it's already on you. When i look in the mirror, I think how'd this happen? What changed? Where has my athletic sense gone?


I joke with my sisters that are they get older they have all discovered their inner athlete. I've discovered my inner laziness. Seriously. When I think that I trained for a triathleon at one point (meaning I biked about 120 miles / week, ran about 25 miles and swam 3-4 miles, plus stair master, etc ) I think What was I thinking? But I'd like to have that body back; but I'm not really interested in doing the work. So, I'll continue to lament, that somehow, like quietly growing grass, my body fat continues to grow..... and that is a shame.


My mother, at 79, is more active than me. Really??? I mean really? For one, she has the time, no kids at home, and is retired. Umm, I still don't think I'd be that active. I'll be lazy.


But new goals for now:
 - get a hair cut.
 - get a pedometer and start getting to 10,000 steps per day. I always feel tired at the end of the day, like I've done a lot, but I have come to realize that as adults we're tired because our brains work so hard each day, not actually our bodies.
 - finish putting down new floors.
 - lose 15 pounds
 - finish the de-clutter process.
 - buy christmas presents before December 25 or 26 (I HATE buying presents. it's not the present it's deciding what to buy).


Okay done for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment